December 25, 2007

Death is Just a Thing

Regardless of how I spend my time, there is danger. I think often recently of the danger of cross the street, swimming at the beach . . . even repairing electrical wires. I might not do anything at all if I let the concern with death hold me back.

When I am swimming in waters that are thirty meters deep, in waves that I have to overcome by heaving myself into the above the water to get each breath of air, I have to remind myself that death is just a thing. It comes to all of us sooner or later, and when it does it resolves all of our earthly concerns at once. So eager are we to resolve even one problem each day that we should be grateful to know that there is one even that can resolve all of our problems at once, conclusively.

When I swim in the deep waters, thinking that even one bit of water in my nose could begin a fatal death spiral of waterborn asphyxiation, I am becalmed to remember that death is just a thing. It's just a thing. Death is just a thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Death is a part of our lives, we all have a path to walk, whether the journey is long or comes to an abrupt end far too early.

I died a mental and emotional death over and over again during times of despair. Ever so briefly I died a physical death, but was shocked back to this world.

I do not fear death, living has been the hardest, somewhat like a puzzle that I can't seem to place together. My daughter's smile keeps my struggling heart beating better then any pacemaker made by man, the warmth of the sunlight upon my flesh, and a warm cup of tea.

Seek that which makes you positive joy, and stray from it not...