December 28, 2007

The Trouble With Being Homoerotically Troubled

When I confided to a Brazilian friend who is gay that I had always had attractions to and sexual feelings about males as well as females, he suggested that I read a book called "The Third Pillow", (O Terceiro Travesseiro) by Nelson Luiz de Carvalho. The Third Pillow is a book about the tremendous stigma and discrimination associated with being a teen and becoming aware that you are a homosexual. Without recounting too much of the plot, two teen boys who are dating decide to tell their parents about their relationship and their sexual orientation. One boy's father punches him in the mouth seems angry enough to kill him, while the other teen's father stabs him in the belly with a knife. That's just the beginning of their journey.

No wonder, then, that an article in Psychiatric Times says,
In the developmental histories of gay men and women, periods of difficulty in acknowledging their homosexuality, either to themselves or to others, are often reported. Children who grow up to be gay rarely receive family support in dealing with antihomosexual prejudices. On the contrary, beginning in childhood--and distinguishing them from racial and ethnic minorities--gay people are often subjected to the antihomosexual attitudes of their own families and communities (Drescher et al., 2004). Antihomosexual attitudes include homophobia (Weinberg, 1972), heterosexism (Herek, 1984), moral condemnations of homosexuality (Drescher, 1998) and antigay violence (Herek and Berrill, 1992). Hiding activities learned in childhood often persist into young adulthood, middle age and even senescence, leading many gay people to conceal important aspects of themselves.

Closeted individuals frequently cannot acknowledge to themselves, let alone to others, their homoerotic feelings, attractions and fantasies. Their homosexuality is so unacceptable that it must be kept out of conscious awareness and cannot be integrated into their public persona. Consequently, these feelings must be dissociated from the self and hidden from others. Psychiatric Times

Well, that's me right there. After experiences in childhood that made it clear that homosexuality was socially unacceptable and severely socially sanctioned, I decided to simply put out of my mind the idea ever of acting on homosexual feelings, even though the feelings themselves didn't diminish. I certainly have never integrated the awareness of these feelings into my public persona, even though I know a lot of people who have done so.

If and when same-sex feelings and attractions can no longer be kept out of consciousness, the individual becomes homosexually self-aware. Individuals to whom this happens can acknowledge some aspect of their homosexuality to themselves. While homosexually self-aware people might consider accepting and integrating these feelings into their public persona, acceptance is not a pre-determined outcome. For example, a religious, homosexually self-aware man may choose a celibate life to avoid what, for him, would be the problematic integration of his religious and sexual identities.

Individuals who are either consciously prepared to act on their homoerotic feelings or to reveal a homosexual identity to others usually define themselves as gay or lesbian. To be gay, in contrast to being homosexually self-aware, is to claim a normative identity. In other words, defining oneself as gay usually requires some measure of self-acceptance. A gay person may choose to come out to family or intimate acquaintances. Others may come out to people they have met in the gay community while keeping their gay identity separate from the rest of their lives. Psychiatric Times

According to the above, I would be "homosexually aware." Actually I think I'm homoerotically aware as well as hetero-erotically aware. I acknowledge my feelings to myself, but I have not, at all, integrated the homo-erotic feelings with my public persona. I only told my own wife about them a couple of days ago.

Does the fact that I love making love to my wife and would not willingly trade women for men prevent me from being a homosexual? I certainly hope so, because I wouldn't willingly trade women for men.

Would I have had more homosexual experiences if there was no one to tell me not to? I certainly believe that I would have. This is what psychiatric professionals call "fucking well confused".

It can be painful to keep significant aspects of the self hidden or to vigilantly separate aspects of the self from each other. Constant hiding creates difficulties in accurately assessing other people's perceptions of oneself, as well as recognizing one's own strengths. Dissociation's impact on self-esteem can also make it difficult to feel one's actual accomplishments as reflections of one's own abilities. Transparency, invisibility, losing one's voice, and being stuck behind walls or other barriers are some of the terms used to describe the subjective experience of dissociative detachment (Drescher, 1998) Psychiatric Times
Maybe this is why I so often feel like killing myself? Probably not, but I've tried a lot of other things to rid myself of the constantly recurring depressions, and publicly acknowledging homoerotic feelings is just another of literally hundreds of efforts at greater "self-integration."

Over the last couple of days, I have acknowledged publicly for the first time that I have homo-erotic feelings and thoughts sometimes. My brother would be scandalized, mortified, shocked and disgraced. Oh, well. I've spent my whole life caught between what I feel and my brother's onetime reactions (now over thirty years old) to what I feel.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coming out was far easier for me, although it wasn't fun early on.

Simply put, my sexual development was years behind my classmates of my own sex - heck, either sex. I didn't start to date at all until I was 17 (?), and that wasn't primarily due to lack of offers (from either sex). When I was 19, I'd fallen in with friends, some of whom were openly gay, lesbian, and bisexual, so it became pretty easy for me to come out by the age of 20.

So I guess I had two problems:
1) Members of my own sex mis-interpreting my relative lack of interest in the opposite sex as having sexual interest in the same sex (when I really wasn't interested in either yet). Conversely, members of the opposite sex mis-interpreting my social or intellectual interest in them as sexual interest.
2) I'd been brought up on a religious doctrine that considered homosexual activity to be evil.

I think that there's little accident that I came out after I'd left my former religion; frankly, after leaving said religion (not really over this; over an internal dispute among the leaders of the religion about the Resurrection), coming out was relatively easy.

It's been a while, but here are a few tricks that helped me:

1) Whenever you see 2 members of the same sex walking together that you don't know, much as, say, a married couple might, assume that they are gay or lesbian lovers. Obviously, this isn't always true, but neither is always assuming that they're platonic friends.
2) Socialize with openly gay/lesbian/bisexual people.
3) Deliberately fantasize about sexual encounters with fictional people of the same sex.

suicide_blogger said...

Zimbel, thanks for sharing about your own experiences, particularly since this is really the most personal aspect I remember you sharing about yourself. This helps me to understand something about you and about why gay people are said to have higher incomes than others on average. Many self-acknowledged gay people, like you, are simply a lot smarter than a lot of other people.

You said that "internal dispute among the leaders of the religion about the Resurrection" led you out of your repressive childhood religion and into an atmosphere more conducive to acknowledging that you were gay. Well, all I can say is, 'Thank God for internal church disputes about the Resurrection!'

Joking aside, I also didn't express myself sexually until I was 17. Except that I did. When I was eight years old, I looked forward to getting together with both boys and girls for playing house and touching one another intimately, lovingly. It felt really good to me, until my friends' mother caught us at it and forbade them ever to speak with me again.

After that, I was quite inhibited in expressing myself to girls and hardly expressed myself to boys at all, except by accident of utter confidence and mutuality of interest in sex-play among intimates. Again, that ended when friend's father called him a "pig", and then I pretty much stayed in the house by myself until I was seventeen years old. How could I risk going out of the house, being minutely scrutinized by my pears and being discovered to be a "faggot"?

There was one well-known gay boy in the projects near my house. His nickname was "Mari." Only years later did I discover that the nickname "Mari" was short for "Maricón", which in Spanish means "faggot."

In retrospect, I'm glad that I didn't publicly acknowledge my homo-erotic feelings in that atmosphere. And think I was right when I concluded that it would cause me more trouble, heartache and heavily punished vulnerability than it was worth.

As it was, my brother called me a "faggot", "gay-boy", pussy, woos, and many other names on a daily basis. He even told the gym teacher on the first day of school that I was a "fairy", and then the gym teacher publicly confronted me with this accusation during my first day in gym class.

Well, now I acknowledge it publicly. I've had homo-erotic thoughts and feelings, and anybody who doesn't like it can go . . . try it and see if he doesn't like it.

Yesterday, I went to a restaurant with my wife and I saw a young man I know persistently with his arm around another young man at a table. Then I remembered that I've seen this same man in an Internet cafe looking at pictures of other men. As I paid the bill, I nodded in recognition to both of them.

I've never imagined that it was alright to fantasize about sexual encounters with people of the same sex. At one time, I used to search for homo-erotic pictures on the Internet, very surreptitiously. I felt terribly ashamed of doing that and never acknowledged to anyone that I was doing so.

So, even now I would consider it quite unacceptable for me to fantasize about other men, not because I wouldn't like to, but because I "shouldn't".

I once told a therapist that I was having these thoughts. He said that I was using the thoughts to torment myself and I should just forget about them. Well, I still haven't successfully forgotten about them, and I am still using these thoughts (and many others) to torment myself.

I would feel terribly afraid to openly and intentionally socialize with openly gay/lesbian and bisexual people. I have a lot of stereotypes in my mind about what such people "are like" and all of the dangerous things that could happen to me if I entered that "netherworld". Meanwhile, I stay in the house and have very few friends at all.

Anonymous said...

Coming out was difficult for my late cousin Jason as well. Even with all the dysfunction that dwelled amongst our family; homosexuality was marked taboo.

I believe we refrained from questions for a long time, though from his actions, and choice of lesbian friends, we should have strongly suspected.

Jason was outed by a former lover during a bitter dispute. Upon knowing, my initial theory was that it was hard enough being a black man in this society and why would he double the hardship by accepting a homosexual lifestyle.

Within time, we had come to embrace Jason, friends, and the lover whom he took his life over.
I miss him dearly, and everything about the rainbow that he represented.

Anonymous said...

I must clarify, the ending of Jason's relationship wasn't the sole reason for chosing to take his life. I believe it was the years of dysfunction and neglect that he was born into, as well as the failed relationship with the only person who ever granted him structure and stability.

suicide_blogger said...

Lynn, that's really sad. Your confirmation that Jason was homosexual confirms a theory of mine based on my own experience. Homo-erotic ideation and feelings, in the context of an intensely anti-homosexual society, can cause people to consider and attempt suicide.

I've often wondered, as you did, why a Black man who is already persecuted for his skin color would want to assume the added burden of being reviled for his publicly acknowledged homosexuality. Maybe the reason is that homosexuality can no more be successfully denied than skin color can be successfully denied.

Anonymous said...

"Zimbel, thanks for sharing about your own experiences, particularly since this is really the most personal aspect I remember you sharing about yourself."
-Sorry about that; I'm always a bit paranoid about giving personal information on the internet; this may have to do with one of my semi-professional (i.e. occasionally interrelates with work) hobbies being in the computer security field (or perhaps it's just a neurosis). In any case, I should clarify that I'm bisexual. The most relevant point about being bisexual (instead of gay/lesbian) is that a bisexual in a monagomous relationship with the opposite gender can "pass" as though they were heterosexual often without even trying.

"Many self-acknowledged gay people, like you, are simply a lot smarter than a lot of other people."
- Thanks for the compliment, but I doubt that my sexuality has anything to do with my intellect - it likely has a lot more to do with my parents. There is some research suggesting that it has something to do with having an older sibling, but I'm not certain that that was even a valid study.

"Homo-erotic ideation and feelings, in the context of an intensely anti-homosexual society, can cause people to consider and attempt suicide."
- I think it's actually worse when your own belief system is anti-homosexual than when one's society is anti-homosexual (although there is obviously a high correlation between the two).

suicide_blogger said...

Zimbel, I can certainly appreciate your reticence, and that makes me appreciate your openness on this topic even more.

Since your an IT security expert, if I could I would send you an invitation to post at our AfroSpear Freedom Technology Christmas blog, but you'd have to e-mail me even an anonymous e-mail address to which I could mail the posting rights.

Like you, I think I may be bisexually inclined, based of my feelings and ideation. But, since I love and deeply enjoy my relationship with my wife, including our sexual relationship, I know I'm not simply "homosexual." I'm "coming out" to myself and others as a person who is bisexually inclined. (And whoever doesn't like it can go . . . try it and see if they don't like it.)

I think you're right that we can be persecuted by our own belief systems. For example, it is much easier to see people who are openly homosexual, transexual, etc. where I live now in Brazil than it was in the town where I grew up. But, my own rigid control over my own sexuality, publicly and in terms of self-awareness, are still governed by the negative opinions and reactions of my family and social environment from when I was a child. The torment I have experienced has come from within, from my own training, really more than from my present surroundings.

In the city where I live, there are several well-known homosexuals and transsexuals in the media and the arts. A few transsexuals are well known performers who regularly lead street parades, festivals and club acts. And that's just to speak of the more flamboyant personalities.

Anonymous said...

"Since your an IT security expert, if I could I would send you an invitation to post at our AfroSpear Freedom Technology Christmas blog, but you'd have to e-mail me even an anonymous e-mail address to which I could mail the posting rights."

Thanks for the offer, but there are a few problems:
1) I don't presently have the time to blog more than unbelievably infrequently.
2) After looking at the blog you reference briefly, I'm not certain that I'd be able to add anything useful; most of what I'd contribute to such a blog (consider Linux, consider Free/Open Source alternatives) is already covered by another author or authors.
3) At the level that you're referring to, I'm an "IT security expert" like you're an expert on, say, U.S. trusts law (apologies if you are, in fact, an expert in this area of law). While there are a few tiny areas where I am a real security expert, most of them are far removed from a typical user's experience that they have little or no intersection (for example, I have experience hardening a specific implementations of protocols, both proprietary and non-proprietary, all of which most people neither hear of nor directly use, using tools that are inaccessible to most people).

So, thank you for the offer, but I'll think I'll decline.