January 15, 2009

Clonazepam (Clopam) Overdose

Since I don't drink alcohol, clonazepine overdose is basically a non-issue. Althhough I am supposed to take 2 mg before sleeping (or else I might never sleep), tonight I took ten milligrams before sleeping, in the hopes of sleeping longer and more soundly. The main noticeable side effect is walking with more torpor, nearly bumping into wall and falling overrr things before righting my direction. (If I drove a car, this might be a problem, but since I long-since gave up doing so, lack of motor coordination when I am asleep is a nonissue.)

Were I to do this regularly then a higher tolerance for the drug and a psychological dependence would also be concerns. But I only do it when I feel extremely frustrated and would prefer to poison myself, if possible. This happens to me once every four to eight months, in my experience. After taking five times the regular dosage at midnight and falling asleep within twenty minutes while reading the newspaper in bed, my dog awakens me at 4:30 in the morning and I am obliged to attend to her, just as if I had taken no medication at all.

A symptom of my mood, perhaps, is that I am letting my dog out by herself, even in a town that is unforgiving for unchained, unmuzzled dogs, because I just don't have the energy or inclination to follow er and wait for her to pee and shit. She much prefers to be let loose to follow her own instincts late at night, which lead her to take long sniffing walks and to come home when she gets tired or thirsty.

Clonazepam is a good alternative to spending the night awake, which eventually leads to decreased mental faculties, shorter patience, an enhanced sence of psycological fragility, and finally insane(r) decision-making, otherwise known as "decompensation".

Five hundred percent larger doses of Clonazepam lead only to torpor and eventual dependence if repeated often enough.

I've never tried compounding these dosages with massive quantities of high proof alcohol. I stopped drinking alcohol because if I wasn't going to kill myself outright, I didn't want the many side-effects that alcohol causes, like loss of social control, violent and belligerent behavior, forgetfulness to the point of absolute blackouts in which one can remember nothing, lying, stealing,and becoming completely unreliable. Massive doses of alcohol can be part of a well-planned suicide plan, when combined with an "antiemetic", "A drug that prevents or reduces nausea and vomiting." The body wants to rid itself of alcohol, which is essentially a poison, but cannot do so because of the effects of the antiemetic, which is available at pharmacies without prescription.
Exit Association-Mediated Suicide: Toxicologic and Forensic Aspects.

Articles

American Journal of Forensic Medicine & Pathology. 20(1):40-44, March 1999.
Giroud, C. Ph.D.; Augsburger, M. B.Sc.; Horisberger, B. M.D.; Lucchini, P. M.D.; Rivier, L. M.D.; Mangin, P. M.D., Ph.D.

Abstract:
The Swiss German chapter of the Exit Association provides conditional assistance to individuals wishing to end their own lives. The Exit Association advocates death with dignity and fights for the right to freely choose the timing of one's own death. According to the Swiss criminal code (articles 114 and 115), altruistic assistance to suicide is not punishable. Active euthanasia is punished by imprisonment. An individual commits active euthanasia if he or she is driven by honorable motives (e.g., pity) and causes the death of another person wishing to die who seriously and insistently requests such action. Based on our information, the preparation for suicide and its completion relies on a well-defined protocol. First, the candidate's eligibility for Exit Association assistance is verified. The candidate then writes a farewell declaration that explicitly confirms the will to terminate his or her own life. A written report describes the events during the suicide procedure. Depending on the circumstances, the investigative judge requests a forensic autopsy and toxicologic analyses. The results of the forensic investigations conducted in the cases presented here are in agreement with the scenario described in the reports of the Exit Association, namely, suicide by massive ingestion of pentobarbital. American Journal of Forensic Medicine: Exit Association-Mediated Suicide: Toxicologic and Forensic Aspects.

A husband present at a Dignitas assisted suicide describes the process and the role of antiemetics:

Eventually we managed to get some morphine linctus and ampoules of diamorphine. . . . It was reputed to be enough to kill a horse. We were given some water and though we all had a drink, the real reason was to check that Elizabeth could swallow the necessary volume of liquid. It was explained that she would have to take an anti-emetic half an hour before she took the drug, and repeated, several times, that she could change her mind at any time, up to the point where she took the final glass.

She drank the anti-emetic, and we sat there chatting. . . . hich amazed me.

Finally he said to her, "Are you ready?" . . . "If you drink this, you will die." It was her final chance to change her mind. And she said, "That's all right. I'll take it."

It's very bitter stuff, apparently, but she started to drink it quite successfully . . . I think she had taken perhaps three-quarters of it, and we were frightened that she wouldn't drink enough to kill herself before she passed out. But eventually she began to black out, and it stopped her coughing. She had drunk about nine-tenths of it. And within perhaps 50 seconds of first drinking it she had gone to sleep. And that was it.

He waited about half an hour after she had drunk it to make sure that she was dead.
In our church choir, at the African Methodist Episcopal Church in Central Square, we used to sing the following verses:
I feel like going on.
I feel like going on!
Oh, oh, oh, problems at every hand!
I feel like going on!
So what, exactly, were we singing about? We used to sing.
If anybody ask me
Where am going?
Where an I going, soon?
Just say, "I'm going over yonder!
I'm going over yonder!
I'm going over yonder, to be with my Lord!
Again, what were we singing about. We never discussed it, perhaps because it seemed obvious to most people, perhaps because we were afraid, and maybe because it was just compelling music whose content we ignored.

No comments: