January 27, 2009

Prozac Helped Me Resist Compulsions

I've taken fluoxetine, otherwise known as Prozac. One of the most notable effects of it was that I was more able to resist compulsive behaviors, like sex addiction, when taking Prozac. I had less compulsions and the urges I did have were more easily resisted, so I felt less like I was under attack from my own desires and compulsions.

I would really recommend looking at anti-depressives like Prozac for people who are alcoholic, sex-addicted, obsessive-compulsive, OCD, Borderline Personality Disorder and other disorders in which feeling generally lousy leads to counterproductive behavior.

I remember feeling very surprised that many people in Twelve Step programs suffered feeling lousy AND having constant compulsions without looking at anti-depressives.

I remember a guy who was on anti-seizure medication. I told him that seemed silly to me, since he had never had a seizure. (This was before the Internet allowed members of the public like me to easily access drug information and understand why drugs are prescribed.) But, anti-seizure medication can work as a mood stabilizer. Now, I take it. This is really humbling, to remember all of the times when lack of information and lack of humility caused me to offer bad opinions to others and to lead my own life based on lack of information or misinformation.

No comments: